Job Description Summary;
Southern University Law Center (SULC) welcomes applications for the appointment of at least four tenured or tenure-track professors to start in the 2019-2020 academic year. We welcome applications from all individuals whose backgrounds and experiences will enhance the diversity of our faculty. Our primary curricular needs are as follows:
- Louisiana Civil Law Courses:
We are interested in candidates with experience teaching family law; successions, obligations, or security devices. Individuals with a background in the civil law are preferred.
- Federal Procedure Courses:
We are also interested in candidates with experience teaching basic civil procedure and federal jurisdiction and procedure.
- Legal Analysis & Writing:
Candidates who can teach any of the above courses and who also have an interest in teaching legal analysis and writing are invited to apply. Professors would teach one small section of legal analysis and writing and one doctrinal course negotiated at the time of hire.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school with strong academic record
- Experience and demonstrated success in law school teaching
- Demonstrated ability in mentoring students
- Commitment to the mission of SULC and its instructional methods and goals
- An establish record of scholarship/research or the potential to establish such a record in the near future
- Legal practice or clerkship experience is preferred
Information about SULC:
SULC is located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Its mission is to provide access and opportunity to a diverse group of students from underrepresented racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to obtain a high quality legal education with special emphasis on the Louisiana civil law. For more information about SULC, go to www.sulc.edu.
Instructions to Applicants:
By January 15, 2019, candidates should submit the following to Professor Gail S. Stephenson, chair of the Faculty Appointments Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references
SULC offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time faculty members that includes retirement benefits as well as health, dental, and life insurance. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. SULC also offers full-time faculty summer research grants, travel support, and research assistance.
P.O. Box 9294
Baton Rouge, LA 70813